Sorry, but our Google map of ban locations has been deleted. We’re working on getting it back.
View US Coal Tar Sealant Bans & Government Restrictions in a larger map
For more information on a ban in a particular area, click on the links below the listed government body.
Follow this link for a list of documents which include actual proposed and adopted Bans.
Summary of Bans to Date:
- First ban: Austin, Texas
- First ban of any sealer above a PAH standard: Van Buren Township, MI
- Federal district ban: Washington, D.C.
- Largest municipal ban: San Antonio, Texas
- Largest municipal ban with a PAH limit: Milwaukee, WI
- State bans: Washington and Minnesota
- County bans: Dane, Wisconsin; Montgomery, MD; Prince George’s, MD; Anne Arundel, MD and Suffolk, NY
- State with most local bans: Minnesota (29) until the Minnesota statewide ban went into effect in 2014.
- Number of states/districts with a ban within the boundaries of the state: 9 (Texas, Wisconsin, New York, Washington, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota and District of Columbia)
- Number of states/districts with known restrictions within the boundaries of the state: 16 (Texas, Wisconsin, New York, Massachusetts, District of Columbia, Michigan, North Carolina, South Carolina, Washington, California, Kansas, Illinois, Maryland, Minnesota, Connecticut and Missouri)
COAL TAR SEALER BANS
This list covers communities with an outright prohibition on the use of coal tar sealants.
*An asterisk denotes those which have a high PAH ban.
*Ann Arbor, MI
Ann Arbor Tackles “No Brainer” Coal Tar Sealer Problem
*Ann Arbor Township, MI
Bee Cave, TX
Cannon Falls, MN
Cannon Falls Out of Love with Coal Tar Sealants
Circle Pines, MN
Badger State Ban Breakers Face Bigger Fines*Dexter, MI
Eden Prairie, One of the Nation’s Best Places, Just Got Better
Texas Aquifer District Stomps Out Coal Tar in Sensitive Areas
Texas-sized Aquifer District Hears All Hat and No Cattle Presentation from Industry
Elk River, MN
Falcon Heights, MN
Falcon Heights Sets Its Sights on Being Coal Tar Free
Golden Valley, MN
*Hamburg Township, MI
Home Depot Stores Throughout US
CTS vs. Asphalt-Based Sealant: How Do the Costs Compare?
Howard County, MD
Little Canada, MN
Lowes Stores Throughout US
TODAY Health Recommendation: Keep Toxins Out of Your House; Stop Using Coal Tar Sealants
State of Minnesota
Big Day for Coal Tar Sealant Legislation in 4 States; Minnesota Quietly Passes Nation’s Second Statewide Coal Tar Sealer Ban
2nd State Ban of Coal Tar Sealant Nears as Minnesota Legislature Acts
Minnesota’s Statewide Ban of Coal Tar Sealants Clears the House
A Legislator’s View of Minnesota’s Proposed Coal Tar Sealant Ban
Renewed Calls For Statewide Ban of Coal Tar Sealants in Minnesota
New Hope, MN
*North Barrington, IL
*Pittsfield Township, MI
Prince George’s County, MD
Roseville, MN: No More Peddling Coal Tar Here!
San Marcos, TX
“Common-sense” Coal Tar Ban Passes in San Marcos, TX
*Scio Township, MI
Two More Minnesota Communities Pass Bans Last Night
*South Barrington, IL
Illinois Community Passes State’s First Outright Coal Tar Sealer Ban
Spring Lake Township, MI
Vadnais Heights, MN
*Van Buren Township, MI
New Sealer Alternatives Aren’t All They’re Cracked Up to be
State of Washington
“We Are the First, We Won’t Be the Last,” Ban Officially Passes Washington Legislature!
America Responds to Washington Ban
Washington State Ban Official Today! Bans Now Affect Nearly 9 Million!
*West Bloomfield Twnshp, MI
West St. Paul, MN
Westwood: MA’s First Ban of Coal Tar Sealers!
New Ban Puts Winnetka on Track Toward a Cleaner Future
Industry Seeks, Gains Delay of Sealant Ban
Another State With a Municipal Sealant Ban
Two More Minnesota Communities Pass Ban Last Night*Wolverine Lake, MI*Ypsilanti, MI
RESTRICTED USE JURISDICTIONSThis list covers jurisdictions where special restrictions limiting the use of coal tar sealants are in effect.
Commonwealth of Massachusetts
GOVERNMENT USE RESTRICTIONS
Albert Township, Lewiston, MI
CalTrans (California’s department of transportation)
Clark Township, Cedarville, MI
State of Connecticut
DuPage County/Salt Creek Work Group (IL)
Erie Township, Erie, MI
Fruitland Township, Whitehall, MI
Lake in the Hills, IL
Laketon Township, Muskegon, MI
McHenry County, IL
State of New York
State of Minnesota (prior to 2014)
Powell Township, Big Bay MI
Village of Saint Charles, Saint Charles, MI
Village of Shepherd, Shepherd, MI
Spring Grove, IL
White River Township, Montague, MI
Whitehall Township, Whitehall, MI